Saturday, April 16, 2016

Living with Jesus, not with the world...

I’ve been reflecting, as I typically do and the question on my mind these days is “Why not?”  

Why can’t I be the girl who gets the happy ending?  Why is there only happy endings, why can’t there be happy middles?   Why don’t I just go to Beijing, or Greece, or Chile, or wherever the heck I want to go!  Who says I have to go to school, get a degree, get a job, be careful with my money, buy a house, get married, have a dog, retire, and then die.  What if I don’t want that to be my life?  

I serve the most incredible God, so what would happen if instead of focusing on what the world was telling me to do I listened to Jesus, I spent more time with Jesus and less time in the world?  What would I do if I decided I didn’t give a crap about what people thought about me and just followed my heart and did what made me happy?  Who says I should be living at home because that makes the most economical sense, and who says I need to finish out my degree because that is most logical, and who says I need to follow all of these steps.  I am suffocating under the pressures of society, and of my family, and of all the people around me telling what I should be doing, and how I should be living.  I have never stepped out of the safe confines of my province (excluding Newfoundland),  there is so much world I haven’t seen.  Why am I forcing myself to be in this place where I am unhappy.  Why can’t I just move to London, why don’t I just do it instead of thinking about it over and over again?  Why don’t I just stop feeling sorry for myself and my lack of “culturedness” and get up and move, go somewhere, anywhere?  I want to see the world, I want to meet everyone, I want to experience everything.  I am so sick and tired of seeing my bed, one bed here, one bed in Toronto I want to live.  Waking up, going to work, going to class, going home, going to sleep and doing it all over again, that’s not the life I want.  That life drives me crazy, that life being hung up on boys, and fitting in, and being excluded or included, sends to slice my wrists open and end up in the hospital.  

Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results? I want change, I am craving change, I am craving newness, I’m craving happiness.  I get to be selfish, for the first time in my life I don’t have to worry about my parents marriage, or my dad’s sanity, or my mom’s feelings, or my brother, or a boyfriend, or keeping people happy, or keeping the peace, or proving myself.  I can be me, I can take care of me, I can heal me.  So I’m going to be selfish, I am going to take care of myself.  Who says I have to wait until I’m established in a safe career until I can travel the world, until I can complete my bucket list, until I can be happy, until I move away, until I can be independent, until I can be me.  I want to live now, I want to experience it now, I don’t want to wait anymore, I don’t want to be paralyzed by fear or sadness or anxiety anymore, I’ve sacrificed myself for way too long.  I love Jesus, and I want that to carry me.  I am going to depend on him, not on a boy, my dad, a friend, or these people who I keep letting break me, if I’m going to break again, it’s going to be because of me on my own terms.  Actually screw that. I am not going to be broken anymore.  I might crack every now and again, I can guarantee I am going to crack and tear and rip probably everyday for the rest of my life.  But I am going to do that while living my life, on my terms (well Jesus’ terms but you get what I mean).  I’m going to start doing what makes me happy, wearing what makes me happy, eating what makes me happy, being with people who make me happy, I am going to be selfish.  I think I get to be selfish right?  I deserve that, I have earned that right.  No more second guessing myself, or looking for others’ approval, I am going to make a change.  I’m going to get better, I always do, I know I can do this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment